When you were five years old, who was your hero? What do you think of that person today?
I was five years old a long time ago.
Not my father. Not my mother. Not my sister.
I started first grade that year. There was a girl in my class with curly blonde hair. We kissed once. I don’t remember her name.
I shook hands with Richard Boone that year. Remember him? Paladin? Have Gun, Will Travel? His hand was sweaty that day.
Kennedy was elected president that year. I was relieved because my sister had told me that Nixon was going to make kids go to school on Saturdays.
I became aware of space travel that year. We began to worry about the Russians.
To Kill a Mockingbird was published but I didn’t read it until ten years later.
3500 American soldiers were sent to Vietnam. I would later join the military and become a Vietnam era veteran. Fortunately, I never had to walk through the jungles.
I remember Eisenhower, I remember Khrushchev, I remember DeGaulle, I remember Castro and Che.
I remember Cassius Clay.
I remember test pilots were pushing the envelope. I admired their courage but, I don’t remember their names.
I remember Yancy Derringer but they must have been reruns.
I remember sitting in the front room of my parent’s house, watching the tornados spin past.
I don’t remember a “Hero” though.
- Morning milk delivery | Vintage Photography
- covet | yi-ching lin photography
- Where were You – the Power of Forgiving | A Teacher’s Blog
- Siegfried Sassoon, Hopelessness and Iraq | As I please
- Feeding The Monster | The Jittery Goat
- daily prompt: heroic | aimanss…
- Daily Prompt: Heroic « cognitive reflection
- DP Daily Prompt: Heroic | Sabethville
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- 5 Year Old Hero – The Engine that could. | L5GN
- Heroic | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Finding Life
- The Portal – A Friday Flash Fantasy | My Little Avalon
- Heroic Visions | THE OVERCOMING
- Tail Business and Heroes! Daily Prompt… | alienorajt
- A Little Girl’s Hero « My journey to qualify for the Boston Marathon…and everything in between…
- The Dad Who Didn’t Have To Be | theauthorwhoknows
- Daily prompt: Heroic | laura-in-china
- My Childhood Hero | all my likes
- My Dad, My Hero | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt – Hero. | My Beautiful Messed Up World.
- Even Heroes Can Wear Thin « Mon Cache
- Are You A Hero in Your Home? | Ako Si Ehm Blog
- The Dark Knight | Sébastien Grobelny – Photography
- Hanging with the Guys | Nicetomeetyou:I’mCourtney
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Of becoming your own hero/ heroine. | Concentrate On Yourself
- Mr. Rogers Was My Hero
- Moon, Moon on the sky…….Watch Me Die | Shadows Of The Divine
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Basically Beyond Basic
- My Heroes | Flowers and Breezes
- Still my hero | Life is great
- Heroic : My 5 Year Old Self. | ♥Barb’s Magical Land Of Oz♥
- Who Says Heroes Have to Wear Capes? | meanderedwanderings
- The Forgotten Hero | Dance with the Rain
- Lawrence of Arabia/Daily Prompt-Hero | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- MY HEROES WEAR MASKS – HI YO SILVER! THE LONG RANGER RIDE AGAIN! | SERENDIPITY
- babusya | peacefulblessedstar
- MY HEROES WEAR MASKS – THE LONG RANGER RIDE AGAIN! | SERENDIPITY
- Daddy | The Magic Black Book
- Still my hero | From Five to Fifty
- My First Post-marital Blog Post | Vagabond
- Five’s Hero.. | Relax
- A Father’s Enduring Love | Lisa’s Kansa Muse ~ Dreamy abstraction in a 100 year old Four Square Farm House
- Heroic | The Story of a Guy
- I don’t remember being five | dreaming of melville
- Hero | LOQUACITÉ
- 9/11 Heroes | Daily Prompt: Heroic | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me
- Brianne Writes
- Heroic | The Nameless One
- When Being a Mommy Supersedes Being You | Transforming Mommy
- Super Mario can do anything | “The Ish,” presented by the Bohemian Rock Star
- Heroic behaviour | Fictionalism
- Heros all | Exploratorius
- Neil Armstrong — RIP and Godspeed | Exploratorius
13 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: Heroic”