All that I have cared about is gone.
Everyone I loved has been taken away.
All that remains is this bottle, these nightmares, and the mistakes that I have yet to make.
But I will… I’m sure I will.
Once I had a family. Once I had money. Once I had a life filled with ambition and promise.
Those things are gone now.
It happened slowly at first. The shine disappeared.
Disappeared from the things I loved. Then slowly, but surely they all vanished.
Some crawled away of their own accord. Others I shoved out.
The process took years but I was thorough. Made sure it was complete.
Only one thing left to do before…
Wait, there is one remaining remora that I cannot shake.
This damn dog will not let go. Where did she come from? When did she latch on?
This nameless yellow cur. If she ever had a name, I do not recall it.
I cannot loosen her.
She stays by my side. Sleeps in the alley with her head on my lap.
I find myself looking. Looking for scraps.
She is either a demon or an angel, keeping me alive.
I curse her and bless her with the same breath.
I would be willing to wager that these guys didn’t have to figure out what “BFF” was before writing. Enjoy:
- Friends | The Magic Black Book
- You want to see best friends against the world? | From One Crazy Life To Another
- Daily Prompt: BFFs | Journeyman
- Voices | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- A Speck Of Green – Part 1(Looking for Dad) | The Jittery Goat
- Kith and kin | Perspectives on life, universe and everything