Do you thrive under pressure or crumble at the thought of it? Does your best stuff surface as the deadline approaches or do you need to iterate, day after day to achieve something you’re proud of? Tell us how you work best.
This essay seems to address the issue of working under pressure with more eloquence than I would be able to convey.
“The tragic loss of the submarine Thresher and 129 men had a special kind of impact on the nation … a special kind of sadness, mixed with universal admiration for the men who choose this type of work.
One could not mention the Thresher without observing, in the same breath how utterly final and alone the end is when a ship dies at the bottom of the sea … and what a remarkable specimen of man it must be to accept such a risk.
Most of us might be moved to conclude, too, that a tragedy of this kind would have a damaging effect on the morale of the other men in the submarine service and tend to discourage future enlistments. Actually, there is no evidence that this is so.
What is it, then, that lures men to careers in which they spend so much of their time in cramped quarters, under great psychological stress, with danger lurking all about them?
Bond Among Them
Togetherness is an overworked term, but in no other branch of our military service is it given such full meaning as in the so-called “Silent Service.”
In an undersea craft, each man is totally dependent upon the skill of every other man in the crew, not only for top performance but for actual survival. Each knows that his very life depends on the others and because this is so, there is a bond among them that both challenges and comforts them.
All of this gives the submariner a special feeling of pride, because he is indeed a member of an elite corps. The risks, then, are an inspiration, rather than a deterrent.
The challenge of masculinity is another factor which attracts men to serve on submarines. It certainly is a test of a man’s prowess and power to know that he can qualify for this highly selective service. However, it should be emphasized that this desire to prove masculinity is not pathological, as it might be in certain dare-devil pursuits, such as driving a motorcycle through a flaming hoop.
There is nothing dare-devilish about the motivations of the man who decides to dedicate his life to the submarine service. He does, indeed, take pride in demonstrating that he is quite a man, but he does not do so to practice a form of foolhardy brinksmanship, to see how close he can get to failure and still snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
On the contrary, the aim in the submarine service is to battle the danger, minimize the risk, to take every measure to make certain that safety rather than danger, is maintained at all times.
Are the men in submarines braver than those in other pursuits where the possibility of sudden tragedy is not constant? The glib answer would be that they are. It is much more accurate, from a psychological point of view, to say that they are not necessarily braver, but that they are men who have a little more insight into themselves and their capabilities.
They know themselves a little better than the next man. This has to be so with men who have a healthy reason to volunteer for such risk. They are generally a cut healthier emotionally than others of similar age and background because of their willingness to push themselves a little bit farther and not settle for an easier kind of existence.
We all have tremendous capabilities but are rarely straining at the upper level of what we can do; these men are.
The country can be proud and grateful that so many of its sound, young, eager men care enough about their own status in life – and the welfare of their country – to pool their skills and match them collectively against the power of the sea.”
Written by: Dr. Joyce Brothers 1963
After the loss of the USS Thresher with all hands
- Pressure | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: The Heat is On | Basically Beyond Basic
- Time | The Bliss of Reality
- Umbrellas | Crazy Art
- Introspection | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Concentration aka eating alone 🙂 | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Ilya Fostiy. Is There a God? | The Bliss of Reality
- Smile! | Crazy Art
- My List-less Life | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- My List-less Life | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- The Farm | My Little Avalon
- The Daily Prompt & Eric’s Aria -Part 1 (short story) | The Jittery Goat
- Procrastination Insults My Intelligence | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- The biggest appointment | MC’s Whispers
- Under Pressure | A mom’s blog
- pressure | yi-ching lin photography
- DP Daily Prompt: The Heat is On | Sabethville
- Cops | Views Splash!
- the pressure is the same | y
- Men | Hope* the happy hugger
- One Crazy Mom » The Heat Is On
- Student hurrying to catch the bus (Daily Prompt: “The Heat Is On, Show Us Pressure”) | Photo0pal Photography
- I’ll start tomorrow. | Attempted Human Relations and Self
- DAILY PROMPT: Pressure | cockatooscreeching
- Life Confusions
- Daily Prompt: The Heat is On- Perspective of Medical Student | Journeyman
- Daily Prompt: Pressure | Captured By Kylie Photography
- The heat is on – turned down to low! | Sue’s Trifles
- Pressure | The scribbles in the margin
- Pressure Points and Implosions | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- 400 Pound Burden | Rima Hassan
- Live and Don’t Learn | Bright Tuesday
- The Luck of the Irish | In Harmony
- Daily Prompt: The Heat Is On |
- Today’s To-Do List for the workplace: Don’t do the following if you want to survive « psychologistmimi
- Daily Prompt: The Heat is On-Pressure | A Day In The Life
- I’m blessed with a system on revolt. | thoughtsofrkh
- In Preperation | Flowers and Breezes
- The Heat Is On | Step Into My Head
- Planners vs. Procratinators | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Pressure | Active Army Wife
- 276. Under Pressure | Barely Right of Center
- Pressure | A picture is worth 1000 words
- Pressure | The Land Slide Photography
- WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH ORDER PIZZA | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: The Heat is On | Raspberry’s Daydreams
- the heat is on | klstar2000
- Feeling the Pressure | L5GN
- Deadlines and Commitments: What to Leave In, What to Leave Out (B. Seger) | meanderedwanderings
- Under Pressure | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: The Heat is On | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Rock My World | The Library Lady and Rosie Bear
- Daily Prompt: Pressure (Nonet) | Morrighan’s Muse
- THE DAILY PROMPT: PRESSURE | Francine In Retirement
- Blogging Brings Stuff
- Friday Night Letdown | Losing It
- Daily Prompt… So what IS Pressure? | Eden’s Effort
- Deadlines | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: My reliable mate | one hundred thousand beats per day
- Daring to Fear | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- The Heat is On | Knowledge Addiction
- Pet Peeves and Other Pressure Points | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- The Illusive FEAR of Getting Old | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Deadlines… | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt: The Heat Is On « Mama Bear Musings
- Live and Let Live. | melissuhhsmiles
- Procrastination | Real Momma Ramblings
- Procrastination is my Super Power | Macey Mac
- Under Pressure: Fight or Flight | Edward Cares
- Functional Procrastination… | …Properly Ridiculous…
- Pressure and Deadlines | Cass’s Useless Opinions
- Daily Prompt: The Heat is On | LoveAndDeathAndEverythingInBetween’s Blog
- Procrastinators Unite… Tomorrow | Green Embers
- P-P-P-Pressure | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Daily Prompt: Being Under Pressure! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Pressure relief valve. | Trucker Turning Write
- Heat: Daily Post | Destino
- Pressure, Come When I Need You! | Read Me
- Neverland | La Gatita Oscura
- Yeah, I will (not) be there in a minute. | meg lago
- Hungry for it | Fictionalism
- Crimson Skin | anonim0us
- Eiffel Mosaic | Antoinetta’s Mosaics
- Daily Prompt: Last minute costuming, the pressure is on | @ The West Gate
- Daily Prompt: The Heat | That Montreal Girl
- Pressure | Dhikrcave
- Daily Prompt: Pressure..? | Lady K’s Lounge
- Betty, Please! | 365 Days of Thank You
- Workers and Slackers | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Strive to thrive | Muddy River Muse
- The Terror of Knowing – Compass & Quill
- Deadlines | My Author-itis
- Daily Prompt: The Heat is On | Ramblings of a Midwest 20-Something
- The last minute is the best minute | Willow’s Corner
- Sleepless Nights And Quiet Moments | Wanderlein
- Under Pressure | djgarcia94
- Casual Sex? But what about your life insurance policy? | I AGREE with you but…
- The Heat is On | The Nameless One