Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain
Have you ever tossed a coin or two into a fountain and made a wish? Did it come true?
It was a full moon last night and it happened again. It always seems to happen when the moon is full or at least damn close to being full. I gotta get a new job, maybe.
This is how it played out.
The three kids came into the store about 10:00 PM. They spread out. I just knew they were going to steal something. That’s how they work. Why does this always happen on my shift?
The kid with the torn jeans and blue t-shirt headed back to the cooler where we kept the beer. “Hey,” I shouted towards the coolers, “we always ID ya know.”
I shifted my gaze to the skinny girl with the dirty, stringy hair. She was pacing up and down the candy aisle. She turned on her attitude, looked at me and asked, “Do I gotta have a ID for a candy bar too? Jeeze what a shitbird you are, can’t ya see we’re customers?”
I frowned and swiveled my head to the third kid. She was just stepping around from behind the magazine rack, smoothing her oversized shirt. I knew she had just lifted something. Probably something stupid, like a dumb fashion magazine. Or that other fish wrap that masqueraded as news. I hoped she hadn’t taken that one. It was our final copy and I hadn’t read about the Ohio woman yet. I never read the articles. I just get them for the pictures.
“I need to ask you to put that back, young lady” I said to her.
“Put what back?” She asked and raised her eyebrows. “What are you talkin’ about? Are you accusing me o’ sumpin? We don’t need to take this from you” she said and turned towards the door. “Come on Mickey, come on Mike – let’s split.”
“Don’t make me do this.” I said quietly. I reached into my pocket and pulled out 75 cents, three quarters.
“Do what?” the skinny girl growled as she started walking towards me. “What do you think you can do?”
I closed my eyes, made a wish and threw the quarters onto the floor.
It got quiet, it got still. I opened my eyes and the kids were gone. There were three cheap beers on the floor by the cooler. Four Almond Joys were scattered between my counter and where the girl with the dirty hair had been. I came out from behind the counter and moved around the magazine rack. There it was. “Ohio Woman takes Martian Lover” the headline read. I picked the paper up and put it on the counter so I could read it later.
As I was gathering the candy bars I thought, Sometimes it’s good to work at Wishing Well Liquor. You never know when you might need a wish to come true.
- THE WOMAN WHO CANNOT COOK | She Writes
- This I Wish: | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Bitten by the Love Bug!! [Wish Come True] | She Writes
- Last wish | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- “Take a breath, count to three, throw it in” | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Pensive | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Daily Prompt & For The Love And Sea Shells | The Jittery Goat
- Spring is late as we | y
- tossing a coin | Love your dog
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | Sabethville
- Three Coins in the Fountain: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Wishing | Kate Murray
- Shooting Star | the intrinsickness
- ever so often i | y
- Rejected by the Trevi Fountain | wisskko’s blog
- Wishes of a Dreamer | jsleflore
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain #postaday | Of Glass & Paper
- Fountains | Writing and Works
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | genieve celada photography
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Wishing on a Fallen Penny | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Coins In A Fountain | Awake & Dreaming
- Fontana di Trevi | Life is great
- My 27 Cents Worth ::E.N.Howie’s Motivational Moments
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | Basically Beyond Basic
- Me, aged about ten, “I wish I could fly”… | thoughtsofrkh
- Tossing pennies over the left shoulder into the Trevi Fountain and staving off nosebleeds « psychologistmimi
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Among the Whispers
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | Burning Imagination
- ‘Wishful Thinking’ – A Short Story | jigokucho
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain « Mama Bear Musings
- Coins in the Fountain | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Throw Away Your Money | Knowledge Addiction
- Try it and See | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain- Psychological Reason of Why We Do It | Journeyman
- Wish Upon a Fountain Coin | Short Story Sally
- Superstitions exists, all across the Globe! | Sathya’s Sprinkles
- luck of the Irish | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- I Wish I Were a Bad Girl: A Dirty Bird Learns to Fly | Kosher Adobo
- Darling, | shame
- Wishing Well | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Lost Dreams | INKLINGS
- Wishes (Daily Prompt Challenge) | Ana Linden
- When I Wish Upon a Well
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | Amanda’s Blog™
- Wish Fountain | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | My name is Ellie and this is who I am.
- When You Wish Upon a Coin | djgarcia94
- Wishing Anew | The Giardino Journey
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins In The Fountain | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Wish what you may | Emovere
- That Stupid Smile | Views Splash!
- Answers to Calls | The Word Trance
- The pond. | real talk and reverie
- Cinderella | U Be Cute – Follow the child inside of you…
- So where did the daily prompt go? | As I See It
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in a Fountain | That Montreal Girl
- A Wish Upon A Fountain | B.Kaotic
- From the Horseshoe to the Singing Fountain | Never Finished
- Daily prompt: Forget the fountain, just gimme the wish | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- DP: THREE COINS | DANDELION’S DEN
- Daily Prompt: Three Coins in the Fountain | lessialiral
- Throwin’ good money after bad… | Willow’s Corner