Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender
Are you full of confidence or have you ever suffered from Imposter Syndrome? Tell us all about it.
“Just walk in there like you own the joint,” Jeremiah said, “if you look like you belong no one’s going to question you.” He handed me a lanyard with a piece of white laminated paper hanging off it. “Wear this around your neck and people will think you got a backstage pass.”
I looked at it and looped it around my neck. “There’s nothing printed on this man, it’s not gonna fool anybody.”
“Sure it will,” Jeremiah said. “They’ll just think it’s turned around.”
I sighed and resigned myself to this foolhardy scheme. “So what happens if I actually get backstage and into his dressing room? What do I tell Mr. King then?”
“First of all, don’t call him Mr. King. Ya gotta call him BB. All you have to do is get his autograph. It would be really cool if you hand him a Sharpie and roll up your sleeve. Get him to sign your forearm. You’ll be in for sure!”
“Are you sure you don’t want to do this one Jeremiah? Somethin’ tells me I’d have better luck giving the mayor a hotfoot than pulling this off. There’s probably 10 layers of security between this loading dock and Mr. King. I’m never gonna make it.”
“Come on brother, have confidence.” Jeremiah spun me around, patted me on the back and gave me a little shove towards the door.
I filled my cheeks up with air and blew it out slowly. Here goes nothin’. I pushed on the door and, much to my amazement, it opened. I stuck my head in and looked up the short passageway. Deserted – no one here, just an empty chair, so I walked forward; when the hallway took a sharp turn to the right so did I. There was another door at the end. I paused and considered whether membership in ΣΟΙ was going to be worth this initiation. I grabbed the knob, twisted, and pushed.
To say I entered another world would be an understatement. There must have been 30 people moving everywhere at once. They were shouting to one another. They were shouting into cell phones. They were carrying cables, amps, and boxes. They were busy! A skinny guy with long blonde hair and a lot of acne scarring broke off his conversation with a hot blonde chick when he saw me come in. “Are you the extra rigger?” he asked, and I nodded my head. “Grab those mike stands and get em on stage. Find Mr. King’s guitar case and take it to him. It’ll say ‘Lucille’ on it and it should be back o’ the drumstand. Then find Jimmy and do whatever he tells you to do.” He turned back to the blonde and took up his conversation again.
“Damn,” I said under my breath, I went and grabbed the microphone stands and followed the stream of people out the door on the other side of the room. It was pretty easy to find the stage where a red faced guy showed me how he wanted the stands positioned. I found Lucille’s case; I ducked behind a bank of amps, and used my phone to take a selfie. Me and BB King’s guitar case – I made sure that ‘Lucille’ was clearly visible – too cool. I came back out and saw the red faced guy staring at a girl in a black tank top. I don’t think he was looking at her face though. “You Jimmy?” I asked.
“I’m supposed to take this,” I held up the case, “to Mr. King. You know where he is right now?”
Jimmy pointed back the way I had come and said, “Green Room.” Then he swiveled his eyes back to the tits under the black tank top. I decided that right then, it would be a mistake to ask him where the green room was, so I started back. I figured I could ask someone else who wasn’t so preoccupied but, I didn’t have to. I saw a door that I hadn’t noticed before. It had “GREEN ROOM” stenciled on it.
I knocked and entered. There he was, the legend himself. Mr. BB King. I had made it! He was sitting on a couch drinking from an Arrowhead water bottle. Lucille was on the couch next to him. “Come on in,” he said, “see ya got Lucille’s case with you. Good. Can you lean it next to the door there, please?” He watched me do as he asked, and said, “You’re new, huh?”
“Yes sir, Mr. King. In fact I’m so new, I don’t even work here.” He raised one eyebrow and studied me. I came clean with the man. I told him that this was an initiation for a fraternity, Sigma Omicron Iota.
“How are you supposed to prove you saw me?” he asked.
“I’m supposed to have you sign my forearm.” I said, rolled up my sleeve and proffered the Sharpie.
“You here by yourself?” he asked and took the pen.
“No, Jeremiah is waiting outside.”
“Want him to owe you?”
“What’s your name?”
“Really?” he asked.
“Yeah, my dad is from Edinburgh.”
He nodded, grabbed my wrist and wrote on my arm. He wrote ‘To Angus and Jeremiah – Great meeting you boys. BB King’. Then he reached into his vest pocket and pulled out two tickets to tonight’s show. “Good luck, Angus” he said.
“Thank you, sir”
I made my way back out to the loading dock. Jeremiah was sitting on the edge, kicking his feet and smoking. “Shit,” he said, “It hasn’t been five minutes, they booted your ass out.”
I rolled up my sleeve and showed him my arm. “I took care of you man, let’s go.”
We both smiled and headed towards the street. I had to find Beth, no way was I taking Jeremiah to a BB King show.
- of hope | Anawnimiss
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender- Self Esteem and Introversion | Journeyman
- A Time For Introspection | The Jittery Goat
- Confession: I Suffer From Imposter Syndrome | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Courage To Finish | My Little Avalon
- DP Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Sabethville
- Shame | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Love your dog
- Walk the walk | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- One Day They’ll Find Out | The Ambitious Drifter
- I HAVE A QUESTION, ARE YOU BISEXUAL? | She Writes
- Here I Come | Views Splash!
- Glittering Awards Ceremony! Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- “Do what you do do well” | Hope* the happy hugger
- Pretending to be a Grown Up | the intrinsickness
- liberty | yi-ching lin photography
- i am slightly off- | y
- I am a lazy person and full of confidence | wisskko’s blog
- Confident ? ::E.N.Howie’s Motivational Moments
- Who were You before You became You? (Braveheart Chronicles Vol. 2) | Running On Sober
- Ghostly Granny Tales: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Pastathree’s Blog
- Unmasking my masks on the way up the ladders of success « psychologistmimi
- Borrowed Reflection | forgottenmeadows
- Feeling Like a Fraud | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Imposter syndrome – every writer must suffer this at some point | new2writing
- Daily Prompt: Being Confident! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Humbug « Averil Dean
- Grading yourself. | Cake Box Fox
- “I can, I Can, I can” The Confidence Poem | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- My Dementor: Shame and Self Doubt | Ever Upward
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Blissful Pages
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | A Day In The Life
- Are you full of Confidence or a Great Pretender? | New Visions
- IMPOSTER | Hastywords
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Tonkadella’s Things in Life
- A Hidden Confidence | Ms. Raven Marie
- Textured Captures: Set in Stone | LenzExperiments
- he’s so shy | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- The Great Pretender_Today’s Daily post | A Blog for Laura Lee
- Daily Prompt – The Great Pretender – Say what? | Serendipitous Cookery
- Ticky-Tacky … I’ll drink to that! | The Flavored Word
- The Great Pretender | The Nameless One
- Insecure | Life is great
- Are You an Impostor? | Pinstripes&Lipgloss
- Red Flags | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- The Pretender | Burgess Taylor
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Morrighan’s Muse
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Life In The Passenger Seat
- What Everyone Said | INKLINGS
- Confidence | The Land Slide Photography
- I Always Thought I Was Just Modest | …Properly Ridiculous…
- Daily Prompt: Pretending | Finicky Philly
- What is Wrong with You may be What is Right with You | An Upturned Soul
- My Luck! | Flowers and Breezes
- Don’t Mess With Me! | Life Confusions
- Is The Glass Half Empty or Half Full? | melissuhhsmiles
- Angela McCauley
- I Don’t Pretend to Pretend | djgarcia94
- Alway was a rebel | Always was a rebel…
- “Impostor Syndrome?” or “I WAS BORN A DINOSAUR” | Ensis Reads – The First-Impressionist
- Blossoming | Cogito Ergo Mum
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | My Atheist Blog
- Confidence for 500 please! | Living with Post Concussion Syndrome
- Pretending my way through the day | One Educator’s Life
- Don Draper and Buddah Walk Into a Bar… | by LRose
- Tempest in a Tutu | Be Less Amazing
- Masks may lie | sunny side dreamers
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | Just Be V
- Imposter Art Lover | Photography Journal Blog
- Fool Me Once, Shame On You! | meg lago
- When I Decided I Wasn’t Going to Be White: The Art of Disappearing | Kosher Adobo
- .. Certainly Not Me « Overcoming to Becoming
- Wasn’t me…Then who? | Youer than You
- Oh, No – He’ll Find Out! | Lynne McAennyl
- Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender | imagination
- НЕКОИ МАЛИ НЕШТА ПИСАТЕЛСКИ
- The Great Pretender | Eclecticfemale’s Blog
- The Pretentious Advisor | 1+1-1=0
- Success, Anyone? | Call Me Incorrigible
- Slow learner. | Trucker Turning Write
- Fake It ‘Til You Make It | 365 Days of Thank You
5 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: The Great Pretender”
Yeah, screw that Jeremiah idiot.
Beth is a real peach.
Bring her to the show. Only chirp King to “Stand up!” near the END of the performance though. Otherwise you’ll be kicked out before you get the chance to sort of enjoy it.
That was clever,is that what happens in a place like that.You are right Jeremiah doesn’t deserve it.
I was going to say, “clever take ” but I see someone already did! You are no imposter when it comes to fun reads.