Look at it up there.
That’s today’s “Daily Prompt”
It seems to be taunting me. I already responded to it with a short conversation about realizing your dreams and leveraging your accomplishments as you move forward. I like that piece and I stand behind it. But, as I was driving this morning it occurred to me that I maybe, just maybe mind you, I maybe might have cheated the prompt.
I thought about it, thought about it some more, and thought about it a little bit more. The prompt seems to beg for fantasy and the surreal. Perhaps, I need a do-over. Perhaps the prompt needs further exploration. Perhaps I should write about an actual, vivid dream. Perhaps I should write about the time I dreamed of Desperados Under the Eaves…
Desperados Under the Eaves is a song written by Warren Zevon and it is his genius that inspired the dream.
In the dream, I am walking on a city street, typical inner city landscape. The light makes me think it is dawn. The street is lined with storefronts. The homeless sleeping in doorways. The sidewalks are cracked and littered with trash blowing between telephone poles and the newspaper racks on the curb. There are no cars. There is no traffic.
A dollar bill lying on the pavement draws my attention and I stoop to retrieve it. When I straighten back up there is a building in front of me that had not been there before. A polished brass plaque next to the entry says “Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel”.
I recognize the name so I go inside. The lobby is huge, and beginning to show signs of neglect. Borderline “seedy”. It’s decorated in art deco style; lots of brass geometric patterns and a palette of muted earth tones accented by hues of cream. I stop just inside the entry and sit on a tufted settee. I can hear the hum of the air conditioning.
Perhaps, I do need a do-over. Perhaps the prompt does need further exploration. Perhaps I should write about the Desperados Under the Eaves.
Nah – that would just be silly. You can’t write two posts for the same daily prompt. That would be against the rules. Wouldn’t it?
- Back In Bug and The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams- The Psychology of Dreaming | Journeyman
- Deliverance | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Fairy Wings- Non Fiction | Rose-tinted Rambles
- Sky on floor level | Le Drake Noir
- Until then… | Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me
- I Dreamed About Avril Lavigne | THE BLACK SPAGHETTI CHRONICLES
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Nighmare | Mara Eastern
- One Crazy Mom » My Worst Nightmare
- Imaginary | La Gatita Oscura
- Care to Dare | Rima Hassan
- Best Dream: YOU – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) | The Wandering Poet
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams? | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Truman Capote Dreams /Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- DP Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams( Are made of… | Sabethville
- Nightmares | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) « Mama Bear Musings
- I Dreamt of Heaven | Misifusa’s Blog
- It’s 3am, I Must Be Up Reading Your Blog | Do Not Get Sick in the Sink, Please
- Speed of Light | THE MARRIED MAN WHO LOVES HIS X
- This is What a Free Sailboat Looks Like | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: Worst Nightmare, 26.02.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- Daily post:sweet dreams | Going New Places!
- Since I was Prompted | Treading over Stars
- Imaginary: Daily Post | Destino
- “I need to climb the cherry tree to get to the marshmallows” | jigokucho
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) | Raspberry’s Daydreams
- The prophetic nature of my Puerto Rican dreams « psychologistmimi
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) | snippets and words
- Sweet Dreams | Knowledge Addiction
- Anselo’s Poetry – A Story – Part 7 | Kilbo – Chris Kilbourn
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) | Basically Beyond Basic
- What Are Dreams Made Of? | the TEMENOS JOURNAL
- Daily Post: Imaginary | Different Isn’t Wrong, It’s Just Different
- It’s another Nightmare | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Recurring Nightmares (Are Made of This) | Virginia Views
- Accused | Life is great
- Nightmares | Flowers and Breezes
- Raging Inferno | Views Splash!
- Mall Stampede | Musings of a Soul Eclectic